Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Patina

I was reading through my morning e-mails and came to the one from the Presidential Prayer Team. It's a good way to start the day! Today's daily compared the rich patina of a well cared for antique table to the rich 'patina' a follower of God will achieve through years of a well cared for relationship with God.

Through daily prayer, scripture study and constantly walking in the path, we will achieve that patina that so pleases God. It is not only visible to God, but to all that cross our paths. A deep relationship with God improves all our other relationships; even those we pass as strangers.

When I further pondered that train of thought, I contemplated what else might contribute to my personal patina... The years of abusive relationships surely left me with those nicks and gouges that only add to the beauty of a treasured heirloom. The wisdom I continue to gain gives me that soft sheen that cannot be achieved with a quick polish.

Even the arthritis has its place. Have you ever noticed on a very old piece of furniture, the places that were constantly touched or rubbed? The finish is worn thin, paint rubbed away, exposing the bare wood. Yet, we would not think of touching it up! No, those spots are evidence of its history... Grampa rested his hand there; Mom opened that drawer the most.

Yes, some days I wish for that shiny new polyurethane exterior. It sure was easier to get chores done. But then I realize the value I place on those 'chores' now and I treasure my patina.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Vary insightful. I don't mind the patina on my brain, it's the part on the joints and the back and the hands I would change... well you get the picture.

SquirrelQueen said...

I know on The Antique Roadshow they tell folks to leave the patina on antiques because it give the piece more value. Just a thought.

Ziggy Stardust said...

I don't know why I haven't stopped here before but that is beautiful. You have a gift for writing. I knew that from your other blogs, but this one really touched me. Thanks

Anne