Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Camping Out

When I was Ali's age, one of my favorite things to do was camp out! Dad would pitch the tent waaay back beside vacant field. I thought the farther from the house, the better! Once a neighbor friend and I camped in sleeping bags under the stars. I remember listening to the crickets and watching the stars. I loved it! I wasn't crazy about waking up damp! Of course, we didn't hear coyotes or packs of wild dogs. We didn't see raccoons and ground hogs scurrying about either. Maybe it would have made a difference...


Ali is a city girl; there's no denying it! Once, she and her older sister camped out in the backyard, but I was sleeping in the hammock right outside the tent door! It was so amazing! The hammock was right next to the pasture fence and my horse laid down and slept right next to me! (Sorry about all the !!!!s, but it was amazing!) Anyway, back to Ali's adventure...

I've often suggested she pitch her tent on the balcony instead of in the middle of the living room. (That's where she usually slept when spending the weekend.) Since she's here for the summer, I told her no tent in the middle of the living room.

Last night we were sitting outside at dusk. It was such a beautiful night. Unfortunately, there was too much breeze for a campfire. I asked Ali if she wanted to camp out. She said yes, if I camped out with her. I explained the effects of old people lying on mats for hours... I suggested she position her tent so that the door was right next to my bedroom door. I would leave the door open so that if she got scared she could step right inside. We negotiated until we settled upon her sleeping with the door next to my door and Sadie in the tent with her. I didn't know how that would go over, but I agreed. I figured Sadie could put up with it long enough for Ali to fall asleep. And she did...

Hubby and I were sitting in our recliners watching the news. He could hear Sadie softly whining from the tent. I figured a bit longer and I'd bring her in, but Hubby is impatient... So, as quietly as possible (yeah, right) I unzipped the tent and allowed Sadie to escape. Ali woke up. I told her Sadie was coming inside for a few minutes but that I would be out...


A few minutes later I heard the zipper. (Maybe waxing it?) Here comes Ali through the screen door, blanket and pillow in arms! I wonder if Papaw will ever get his bed back...

7 comments:

TC said...

Aww how sweet. Love the last picture. I never got to camp out, can't remember my kids doing it either except when we'd go to the lake and after two horrible storms in a row I said the magic words, motel! For some reason I can't see dragging things from the bedroom and kitchen outside when there are perfectly good restaurants and motels close to the lake? Maybe it's because I sleep so close to nature all the time anyway?
The grandkids camp out, it's loosing it's charm though as they get older. Thank goodness.

CrazyCris said...

I never camped out in my own garden, at the most I made a tent with sheets over the two beds in my bedroom when a friend came to visit. But I have been on more camping trips than I can count, so that's ok!

Very cute picture at the end there!

chicamom85 said...

I love coming here, it is like stepping out my back door and visiting a neighbor for coffee, thank you for that. If I were Ali, I wouldn't have lasted either. I do like camping but once Sadie gave up I would have gone with her lol.

Anne

Rae said...

This reminds me of our backyard camping every summer with our grandkids. Piper whines in the tent too. It is always an adventure.

And you are so right about that old age thing not agreeing with sleeping on a hard surface overnight. I can't even stand up. Almost need to call 911 for lifting assistance.

BarbiePhobia said...

Oh how fun ^.^ I've never camped out before, but have always wanted to... may have to sometime this summer. I can't sleep on hard surfaces either... can't move the day after *giggles*

Grandma Nina said...

You are such a good grandmother. She'll always have great memories of being a little girl at grandma's house. I read your "author" post and I know what you mean about priorities. Just not enough "me" time in our lives right now, is there? BTW, how are the in-laws doing?

~*Jessica*~ said...

she is having a blast!