Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Coming home...

A while back I introduced you to my first love Maggie Mae... well, my first equine love. The story continues...

If you follow my essays blog, yesterday's post was about a friend losing her home because of being laid off from GM. Her plant is closing soon and they have been evicted because the landlord was worried about her income. They were renting a farm in hopes of buying it. They relocated to Mansfield after our plant announced it was closing. So now, here she goes again. But she has no where to take her horses. She sold her mare Vanity yesterday and the lady is picking her up Tuesday. She is heartbroken about it.

Her little boy loves my Maggie Mae! Here is a video of his favorite pastime with her. It is a great testament of how sweet and gentle she is, to be trusted to run with a small child.


I gave Maggie to her when I retired because I wanted to make sure she had a great home. Now that she can no longer keep her, I am getting her back. I promised her that if her situation turned around quickly she could have her back. But I can't afford to keep three horses forever. So I may be faced with a big decision... I don't think I can bear to part with Maggie again, unless it's to give her back to Teresa.

It's bittersweet for me to have a glimmer of sunshine from someone else's misfortune. I feel so badly for my friend. But I can't wait to throw my arms around my Maggie Mae and ride her down the bike trail again...

8 comments:

TC said...

We all have so much to be thankful for who still have our homes and jobs. But I know you are glad to have Maggie Mae back again! There are so many animals that don't have a place to go and are in shelters because of this stupid recession.

Nancy said...

I am so glad it is you that is getting Maggie Mae. She is a gentle beauty!I worry so much about this economy and the animals also hurting. Horses are abandoned, starved, left to suffer. We have decided if we buy some property at some point, we will rescue horses.

Rae said...

She is a beauty. I can see why you love her.

CrazyCris said...

My sister and I always dreamed as kids that one day we'd have a horse! Unfortunately moving from country to country and always living in cities... never happened!

You are so lucky to live someplace where this is possible!

I'm sure you'll find a solution... good luck!

chicamom85 said...

Maggie May is beautiful and I will say a prayer for you that it works out for the best.

Anne

SquirrelQueen said...

A very bittersweet situation, this economy has caused so much pain to so many families and to their pets.

But I am also happy that Maggie Mae is coming home. She is so beautiful.

Judy

AL said...

Hard times comes to us sometimes, it happens, and with that we have to make a decision and I thought your friend came up with a good decision. Maggie May looks like a gentle horse.:)

AL

Mark Kreider said...

That landlord is so incredibly short sighted. Having a renter who loves and cares for the property is a god send and a little forebearance with the rent would be money very well forgotten 'til better times. They'll find that out sure enough!