Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Friday, June 12, 2009

Baby steps...

We got over two inches of rain yesterday, so the ground is still far too muddy to be working on the steps; but I had to make a little progress. Ali and I spent about two hours trying to edge the patio while walking around with ten pounds of mud stuck to our shoes! A lot of mud washed down onto the patio and had to be shoveled off. I should have taken a 'before' shot the way it looked when we started today.


The first shot below is from last week, and shows how the ground is up to (actually a little above) the patio level. Ali dug a trench on the right side to hold landscaping timbers as a border to the new shade garden we put in last week. To the left side, the mud had washed down about three inches deep next to the post. That's the area we concentrated our effort on today.



Ali shoveled the mud off the patio (again), while I dug out along the edge with a hoe. We filled the wheel barrow to the brim with mud! Yuck! It probably took three times longer than it would have if it was dry. The gooey stuff kept sticking to the tools. And us!
I found some pretty fossil rocks to place along the edge. Then Ali helped me pick out the perfect stepping stones to lead off the patio toward our fire pit. I think the rocks will stop any future mud slides from reaching the patio. I'll add a couple more later to cut through the garden that will trail down and across to the front garden. I haven't decided what color to stain the concrete. I'm thinking of doing something different. Our front porch is mustard yellow and the sidewalk and steps are kind of reddish brick colored. Of course, this probably won't be until the leaves are changing! I figure it will take me all summer to finish my plan. I don't work very fast in July or August. But anyway, this is how it looks now...Since it's on the west end of the house and is covered by the upstairs balcony, it stays shady until very late in the afternoon. This will be a perfect spot for Ali to sit and read. She'll have company too, because Sadie loves lying on the cool concrete. It's going to be such a pretty little sitting area. And if I lean over the balcony railing far enough, this is what it looks like from above...
It was a good day, topped off with a trip to Wilmington's Banana Split Festival! Ali is going home tomorrow to spend the night. She'll probably be blogging about the festival when she gets back Sunday. We had a great time!

4 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

It's really coming together but the mud doesn't sound like fun. I love all the rock and stone, one of my favorites for landscaping.
Everything sounds like it is going well, I hope so anyhow.
Have a great weekend,
Judy
PS, looking forward to hearing about the Banana Split Festival.

chicamom85 said...

What a busy day. Ali sounds like she is such a great helper and I love her blog, it is so much fun. I hope she blogs about the festival. I want in on anything called a Banana Split Festival. As for the mud, well yuck is all I can say.

Anne

CrazyCris said...

what's a banana split festival?! sounds yummy!!!

I'm sure you'll miss your helper bee after she's back home... good luck with what looks like to be a big project!

Rae said...

I also notice your yellow helper in the background too. They always have to be where the action is.
Sometimes Piper drives me crazy getting under foot when I am trying to lug things around.