Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Stranger I Mourn

I don't know the man. Never met him. But his death impacted me deeply, and I will never forget him. I first saw him on September 12, 2001, the day after he died. Every year at this time, when I am reminded of him, I cry. Tears fill my eyes now as I remember. His picture was in the paper. He was split seconds away from heaven. He chose not to burn.

It was a peculiar picture. If held inverted, it looked as though he was walking to work. One knee bent, as though strolling down the sidewalk. He was wearing a nice suit. So out of place in the photograph... like someone had taken his image and pasted it upside down, in the air, beside the burning tower. He chose not to burn; but his image is burned into my memory and shall remain there forever. May he rest in peace.

3 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

I know the photo you mean, I remember it well.

Rae said...

Worse yet was to see it in live action. I was at work when everything unfolded. Since a TV was in the treatment room where I worked, I was glued to the action from start to finish. No censorship occurred during the beginning coverage.

Before the broadcasting stations realized what was happening, those of us viewing saw dozens of people throwing themselves out the windows and we watched them hurl to the ground. Those images were deleted on the replays later in the day, but I still seem them vividly and have never forgotten. I can not begin to imagine the thoughts of the jumpers in those final 10 seconds of life.

Naqvee said...

it is painful indeed