Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Friday, September 4, 2009

Resume for Heaven

God has a job for me. I sometimes wonder about what God intends for my job here on this earth to be. I try to intently listen for His still, small voice. I desperately want to follow His lead, to be where He would place me. Am I succeeding?

What about heaven? Will we have a job to do there?

Whenever heaven has been described to me, it is a place of perfection... streets of gold, gates of pearl, angels singing, no tears, no pain... We will forever worship Him. Is that it? I mean, day in and day out, for eternity? Do we just hang out, singing and praising... feasting on the good stuff? Not that it sounds bad; but eternity is a pretty long time, and all that sounds pretty simple for a God that conceived of this intricate universe.

I have been fortunate in my life to have spent time in nature, surrounded by calm and beauty, feeling the presence of God. There is no greater feeling; but as great as it felt... how long could I honestly sit there? A day? Sure. A week? Mmm... relaxing. Years? Well...

Eternity is a long time. I have a few questions:
  1. Will we sleep? If so...
  2. Do we have to get up at a set time... or can we sleep in?
  3. What will we do when we wake up?
  4. Do we eat breakfast? Where does it come from? Is it cooked?
  5. Who does the dishes?
  6. Are we then, off to work?
Silly? Perhaps; but will we have a job to do in heaven? Is our time spent here in preparation for our career in the afterlife? That might explain a few things. Then again, maybe not...

I was reading something that got me pondering again the subject of pain and suffering in this world. You know... that old 'Why would God allow...' thing. I know that, just as the analogy speaks in the Bible, a grape vine thrives when pruned. It grows strong and bears much fruit. The rough times of my life have always turned out to be a blessing. Sometimes it takes longer to see it. I don't wish to go through the pain again; but it made me who I am. It prepared me for how I live my life right now. Did it also prepare me for something else ...something greater?

If heaven has all these souls filling its space, will not it be a society? In any society, there are roles to be filled. Even Jesus talked about a body needing hands and feet. Heaven is perfect, right? So what is a perfect society? Maybe one filled to the brim with compassion and understanding? Genuine caring for your fellow man? If there is no evil, no pain, no suffering, how much compassion will be required? After all, isn't compassion more of a react to a situation, rather than a tangible thing?

OK, now I'm rambling in circles... Does anyone have the answers?

3 comments:

Leave a Legacy said...

Lily, I certainly don't have the answers, but I love the questions you ask.This was a very good post. I enjoyed your thoughts on this. What will we do in heaven? It's hard to even imagine, isn't it? I think I already have a good life, so maybe it will be just like a good life on earth but without the stress, worry, etc. Just the good days only.I don't think that would get boring.

Ziggy Stardust said...

No, I find myself asking the same questions. I have no answers and I think we all wonder, I just hope I get there to find out(lol)(I hope lol).

Anne

Rae said...

No I can't answer them either. But God in his perfection will not let us down. It is so hard to imagine, but I know it will be awesome. I hope we can hang out together in heaven.