Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Some Like It HOT!

Hubby is one of those people. He enjoys the sensation of having his tongue set afire. I like spicy, but I'm not into pain.


Hubby decided to plant some hot peppers this year. He only bought two plants. The weather is cooling off fast, so he decided to harvest them now. These are Tabasco Chili Peppers. This is what he got from one plant...
I'm flavoring olive oil with some, and he's drying a bunch of them. I haven't tasted them because I'm not crazy. He says they have a really nice Tabasco flavor. If I use them, it will be one in a pot of something. Hubby and FIL like these chopped up on pizza. If you're interested in growing some for yourself, these rare peppers can be found at WalMart.

10 comments:

Ekanthapadhikan said...

Yummy! I like it hot too!!

CrazyCris said...

yikes!

my tongue's on fire just looking at them! :p

charmine. said...

Hi Lily! been awhile since our last chat.Thank you for thinking of me on my b/day.

Tobasco-here it's green chilli and we use it daily in curries.And it's quite common too.Indian food is spicy but not too hot.Missed all your farm stories....

Rae said...

They look good to me. I like the heat but my stomach doesn't. Flavored olive oil is a good idea. Does it cut down the burn?

DJan said...

My father could never get hot sauce hot enough for him, so he made his own. He found some chilis that were so hot they made his eyes water immediately, once he stuck his finger in the blender to see how it tasted. My sister still makes his recipe, but it was too hot for me.

BTW, that was a great artsy picture you took of the chilis.

Kim Kasch said...

I love a little spice in my life. I did plant some peppers in the garden but came no where close to getting the harvest your hubs got. :(

TC said...

My husband is into the pain thing too, I like a little spice BUT there is a limit. I remember chopping jalepenos up to can or freeze and being stupid and not wearing gloves, they will burn your skin too not just your tongue!

AL said...

Wowowee! Those are really hot chilli peppers! You know we have dish here where the main ingredients are those hot chillis? We only mix it fresh coconut milk and some shrimp paste and that's it! It's a very good appetizer and they say chillis are good for the heart.

AL

SquirrelQueen said...

Yum, those look great. I bought some jalapenos the other day to roast, they are one of my favorites when we go to Baja.

My dad used to grow those little chili peppers, he's the one who got me started on hot peppers.

Lille Diane said...

There's a bunch of these here at my new place. I need some ideas on what to do with them besides dry them just to look purty... OK in Olive Oil, and sliced on pizza... raw sliced? or dried sliced? I need ideas~