Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A bit of this, a bit of that...

Hmm... Is it bigger than a toaster?

Almost...
These potatoes grew so large they burst open!
OK, this is the last you'll hear about the sweet potatoes... (that is, until my Farmer's Market Challenge post.) I wanted to show you the storage rack Hubby built for them, using wood from skids. You know we love to re-purpose. This room in the basement is behind the stairway. It is dark and cool. We will have to expand the rack next year, as Hubby is already talking about 3 rows instead of 1.

Speaking of re-purposing... notice the Christmas candy bag? Makes a nice way to keep garlic.
Being confined to the AC put me way behind on the stairway garden project. Hubby finally took over for me and stained the new steps the other day. Don't they look great? Since the red crushed brick flows down from above to the stone steps below, the wood color adds to the continuity. (Note the chives I planted next to the wall.)
I wasn't out there to harvest the chives when they were small. Better late than never!
This bad boy is huge!
It reaches all the way across the sink!
They still taste great. I'll be chopping and freezing some for use over the winter. They don't keep their flavor when dried. These are onion chives. I will add garlic chives next spring to the other side of the steps. I'm thinking about putting some in a flower pot to see how they do inside over winter.

My dining room table is really wide.
This shows better how huge this thing is...
Of course, I couldn't resist posting a picture of Sadie.
Here is her happy face...

11 comments:

Rae said...

The stairs turned out real nice. I like your potato storage area. Very clever idea. Ray is quite a guy. And Sadie is so sweet. How could anyone resist that face? She is adorable.

Lynn said...

You have the best tips. Love the sweet potato rack; steps look great; and Sadie smiles just like Luc. I can never catch him in a photo doing it. lol

AL said...

Wow! That is some huge potatoes! You're so lucky to have such fertile soil in your farm, that you can grow and produce different kinds of veggies and fruits.

Thank you for the comment. I wanted you to know that I come here to read your blogs, as I've told you, I am interested in farming so I never miss reading them. I also know that you also visit me 'cos I can smell Sadie hee hee.

AL

DJan said...

Lily, anyone with a dog that looks like Sadie is a VERY FORTUNATE person! She makes me smile just to look at her. And your chives, well, AL may be smelling Sadie, but I am smelling those chives...

SquirrelQueen said...

Wow, look at those potatoes. All of my sweet potato recipes just flashed into my head. I love the drying rack.

The steps look fantastic, way different that the first photos in the spring. And speaking of photos, that's one good looking guy in the post below this one.

I think it was Coffee, not Al, sniffing the screen. Sadie is so sweet. I just saw that the next Brenda Photo Challenge is pets - Sadie what do you think?

Judy

Naqvee said...

love to Sadie, and parcel your sweet potatoes to India at my address.. hahaha i just love them

Jan Mader said...

Those have to be the biggest potatoes that I have ever seen!

As for Sadie...she's beautiful.

Kim Kasch said...

I love finding ripe yummies out in the garden - those look humongous!

Stephanie Baffone said...

Hi Lily,
OMG! Those sweet potatoes are colossal! I dream of gardening like that but my is not a gardener and on my own, I don't do so well. I wish I could live right next door to you and help out with yours!
Love the pictures!
Steph

Nancy said...

What a cute blog. Sure do like those nifty garlic bags. Love farms. You're so blessed.

Gloria said...

Think I'll try growing sweet potatoes myself . . and yes, you're right, the chives do lose their flavour when dried. Love your husbands projects, they are the kind of things my clever hubby does all the time!

I have a blog which is varied according to what I remember or what's happening at the time.

Please come visit. I'm going to follow you and hope you'll like my blog and perhaps follow me also!

We have two Spanish Water dogs called Gilbert and George . . Sadie is so pretty!