Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

chick, chick, chicken....


This dude thinks he runs the place! Not really a rooster yet, more like a chickster. But they are pecking and fighting already! Hubby is regretting his decision to take the 'freebies'. We were going to raise those 25 for the freezer, but I'm not sure he can hold out that long.
This gorgeous gal is one of our silver-laced Wyandottes. Not exactly a great shot, but seeing how I was all alone, I think I did pretty good with a camera in one hand! They're getting pretty hard to catch. Their feet are huge! It's going to be fun clipping the wings - NOT! When you spread out the wings, the feathers in the section farthest away from their bodies gets clipped... Just the ends and only one side. This keeps them from flying off. When they molt and get new feathers, guess what? Yep, all over again!




In case you don't remember, scroll down... There is a short video of me spreading the wings on this beauty. I called them angel wings. The light from the window made the feathers glow. In the video, you could see my hands. Yes, they've grown! A few more months and we'll have plenty of eggs to sell.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Mzzlily,
Stop my blog to see the award I have nominated you for.

Nancy said...

Wish you were close enough for us to be a customer.

Rae said...

MzzLily, I forgot to tell you to put the blogger choice award site URL on your blog so that your followers can vote for you.