Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

baby steps...

My asthma treatments are slowly working... I snuck outside today to help Hubby with the next step of my project. I wanted to concrete around the top slab so the sand base wouldn't wash out.

Hubby readied the site by clearing the sand around the slab. He then mixed up the concrete while I was a safe distance from the dust. (He's great.) That left me with an easy sit-down job. He shoveled the concrete mixture into the larger areas, so I could just use my little gardening shovel to fill the gaps. I then pressed the crushed brick into the top layer of concrete.
The crushed brick will soon replace the mulch under the steps. It will flow down around the bottom slab and on down to surround the stone steps to the lower level. I was hoping to open the pool this week since Grand #2 will be here for the summer. (she is a water rat-the one being flipped in the video) but we've got a ways to go and I hear the thunder coming closer. That's good news though... Hopefully God will wash all these little puffy things from my airspace and I can get some work done!

8 comments:

Rae said...

This is going to be so nice when it is finished. I have a question for you. Was Xenia Ohio the town the suffered a horrible tornado back in 1969 or thereabouts? I use to teach disaster safety and I vaguely recall using a disaster training film that talked about Xenia - I think.

Mark Kreider said...

Hope your asthma improves very soon... it's such a misery. A friend who has asthma stays with us every Memorial Day weekend and invariably our giant Blue Atlas will explode with a yellow cloud of pollen that gets on EVERYTHING. He stays pretty medicated and insists he'd rather be here than anywhere else. Gotta love 'im.

Your project is fascinating.

Nancy said...

My youngest has asthma - I can relate. The little patio area looks great. You're going to love it when it's finished.

Lily Robinson said...

Rae: Yes, Xenia was the town. It was half destroyed in 1974. We just passed the 35th anniversary. Not long ago, a special on storms highlighted that tornado. It was on the top list of all time storms! They say the indians called it 'Land of Devil Wind'. We definitely get the wind!

mk & LoL: Thanks for the sympathy. My asthma has always been so mild in the past that I haven't been keeping it under control. For some reason it has flared up. I will learn and adapt. Baby steps...

chicamom85 said...

My daughter and I both have asthma. I wish you well, it can be so hard at times

Anne

SquirrelQueen said...

The steps are coming along, it is going to look so good.
Hopefully you will get some rain and wash the pollen away.
Take it easy until then,
SQ

TC said...

I thought I'd followed this blahwg! but I guess I hadn't pardon me, now I have to go check and see if I spelled it right.
Hope your asthma is better. We've had lots of rain, maybe it's moving your way?
Take it easy, pool videos are lovely.

TC said...

I didn't spell it right, fixed it. That's why I'm not the aspiring writer, you are. I'm the aspiring speller.