Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

This Farmer's Market... Part II

First my green speech... We try to live green. I like to re-purpose as much as I can. You'd be amazed at what I've used skids for... People are happy to have you haul them off! Free wood! A nearby bath-makeover place has skids that have five 2x4x10s each. You'll find some of those in the walls of the chicken house. We found a place that had stacks with really nice wood, not weathered and splintered. It's going on a wall in my basement bath. Whole skids make great fire-starters. OK, they're a little big for the fireplace, but outside they're wonderful. Stuff them with the important papers you usually shred, pile some limbs and logs on top, and light!

What does that have to do with a farmer's market? Glad you asked...

We have sold vegetables from our farm in the past. Selling at our local markets is not an option for hobby farmers that don't have much. By the time you pay for the permit and insurance (required) you'd have to sell an awfully lot of beans to break even! So we decided to sell our surplus right from home. We live back a long lane, so we wanted a sign at the road to advertise what we had available. I don't buy materials for projects like that. I use what I have. And what did I have? Skids!

So, here I am painting the skids that will make my sign. (Left-over paint of course.)

This is a terrible picture of me, but I had to include it as a tribute to Bob Dylan.I engineer, Hubby labors. Here he is using skid boards to fasten the sides of the sign together...


TADA! Doesn't it look nice?


Now, let's measure out some beans...



Here is our farm stand, complete with my recycled Frappucino boxes, 5 gallon paint buckets, and a $10 WalMart canopy. We couldn't survive without at least 20 paint buckets. Notice the table? Yep, recycled wiring spool. If you ask people at construction sites, they sometimes give them to you.




We also sold corn, tomatoes, and whatever else we might have ripe that day. It helped pay for the seeds for next year's crop. That's really all we want... free food!
Well, there you have it... our own farmer's market.


To see more farmer's markets, check out Squirrel Queen's challenge.

12 comments:

AL said...

That's it! That's it! Selling after a good harvest...Lilly I hope you could post more about your farm and about the ROI(Return Of Investment) LOL.

That's a perfect entry for the next farmer's market challenge!

Happy farming and happy selling!

AL

SquirrelQueen said...

I really like all of the recycling you covered here, those wire spools are a favorite of mine (hubby works for a power utility), I use them for everything.

Great stuff for the Farmers' Market Challenge, even if you decide to do more on the 25th still include a link back to these post as well. Cool.

Rae said...

I love it. So creative. You are amazing!!

DJan said...

If I were in your neighborhood, I would be one of your best customers! Have you read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" about family farms and recycling? You are right in there, should be featured! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures and your ability to create wealth for yourself and your family through your creativity!

chicamom85 said...

That is a wonderful post. I love the sign, its perfect, if I were driving along it would definately stand out. You offered such good information for others to follow.

Anne

CrazyCris said...

So that's what skids are! i was left wondering from your previous post... :p

It's great you can set up and sell like that! On my trips I've stopped at many a farmer's stall for provisions and I think it's the best way to try local produce! Much better than the supermarket! :O)

Susan R. Mills said...

Oh, I wish I lived closer to you! I love fresh off the vine tomatoes. One of these days I'm going to get up the courage to start my own garden. I'll let you know if that ever happens! :) Love your sign, by the way.

charmine. said...

Lilly,I salute you.
I think it's wonderful to recycle like that and i like your sign.
Produce looks green and fresh and the whole setup didn't cost much.Very resourceful!Have a great weekend.

Lille Diane said...

I would also be your best customer. This is such a cool post, Lily. This totally makes me want to get in my car & drive to find you. Gulp...that's huge for me to even type that.

You are exceptionally talented in using what you have. I think this is a fabulous example of re-cycling at its finest.

Lynn said...

Don't you get the greatest feeling after re-purposing an item? We have a few skids; the wood is good; and you've given a wonderful example. Love the comment about the eggs. And that is some chicken house!

Honeygo Beasley said...

It's so good to hear from the sellers, too. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes look at a local farm stand. : )

diane said...

Wow your very own farmers market.I've enjoyed your blog. I know why I never became a farmer. It's too harder work but must be very rewarding.