Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Farm update

All's well that ends well. Isn't that what they say?


The farrier made it over today, so both horse have pretty feet. Buddy's cracks aren't too bad. His front hooves are excellent! Hopefully, he will remain barefoot this summer. So, not much damage done by waiting an extra week. Plus the extra length gave Sadie a little extra snack! It's her favorite treat. Yep, she eats the hoof trimmings! No wonder she's overweight.


The hay was bailed today. Seemed to be plenty dry. Hubby ended up buying another parcel too, so he and his son put up 240 bales tonight. With a second cut, we will have plenty of extra hay... Enough for Maggie, too! The goats don't eat much and we've still got plenty left from last year to do the summer and fall. We'll probably end up selling some. This is an old picture, but that's about 100 bales... just to give you an idea.


If Hubby's not aching too bad tomorrow, we'll go get Maggie! I'm so anxious to see her. I'll have to remember to record the introductions when she meets Buddy. I'm sure that Maggie will be her usual Alpha mare! I remember when we temporarily housed my daughter's gelding... He couldn't blink unless Maggie told him it was OK! I love watching their societal roles evolve.


I was fortunate to miss the hay tonight! Probably would have been tough on my breathing anyway. But it was the BIG BIRTHDAY PARTY! Gracie's 5th, complete with fireworks and a very special cake! If I don't make the trip tomorrow, you'll be reading about it on my essay's blog. Everyone had a great time.


Ali is staying home with her family for the long weekend and won't be back until Monday evening. I'm going to take advantage of the time and hopefully ride, plant and write! I may have a whole week's worth of posts!


Oh yeah... the chickens are still inside!

8 comments:

AL said...

Can't wait for Maggie, okay just relax and have a happy weekend. Coffee says Hi to Sadie.

AL

chicamom85 said...

I love your stories and not having ever had access to a farm somethings are a little hard for me to understand. Sadie eats what? The hoofs from the horses? I am not in any way trying to be rude or anything, I just don't get it. Maybe some day Sashy and I can come visit and you can show me, because I would love to meet all of you and Sadie and the horses. I can't wait to read about Maggie. What is up with the chickens. Did anyone tell them it was the 4th of July?

Happy 4th and please be safe.

Anne

Rae said...

Sounds like a typical American farm story and a great one to post for the 4th of July. I love the way you describe your life, it is so real and I can picture all the activity.

Sadie is crazy- she needs to find better snacks. LOL

Have a great weekend Lily and have some fun writing.

DJan said...

Eewww! Hoof trimmings is like eating toenails! I sometimes used to chew them, but do hoof trimmings have any nutritional value?

Glad your hay got baled. That would have been disastrous if it got moldy. And I'm not surprised about the chickens. I'll bet they don't come out at all, chickens being what they are (i.e., not the smartest animals in the barnyard).

Have a great 4th! I'm sitting in bed, laptop across my knees, drinking tea, listening to the birds.

Lily Robinson said...

Al, I am anxious to get Maggie, but it probably won't be today. Hubby is very sore!

Anne & DJan, apparently hooves are very tasted and to be coveted! Based on what it takes to keep them healthy, I'd say they have a lot of nutritional value... and they do seem much more palatable than some other things Sadie loves.

Rae, Now that I'm finally getting better, I'm hoping to post more pics and stories about things farther away than my flower bed! I think maybe next week we'll tour the woods with the goats...

Alvondv, Hopefully in the near future, I'll give you a better view of our real farm life! It's wonderful!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the update. I can't believe the chickens haven't been lured out by all that sunshine that made sure the hay was dry!

Enjoy your week.

charmine. said...

Hi,Thank you so much for your comments.There's always something to do on your farm & thanks for sharing your stories with us.I have always loved reading farm stories(friction)but here i can experience farm life through your blog.HAVE A GOOD DAY.

SquirrelQueen said...

I would think the hoof trimmings would be very good for Sadie nutrition wise.

Have a wonderful weekend and stay away from the hay.

Judy