Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Green Chickens

OK, we don't really have green chickens. We will have green eggs soon, but that's not what this post is about. But since we're talking chickens now, here's a couple of pics of the 'babies':
You can still see some baby fluff on the rear ends, but they are mostly covered with their adult feathers now. One of the roosters is trying desperately to crow. So far it's embarrassing.


Anyway, back to the subject I intended... This is just a short update on living green. I couldn't resist showing off this use for those infamous five-gallon buckets. Yep, those are green beans behind the pile of cucumbers.
Here is more of our repurposing in practice:
Hubby finally put his walls up for the feed storage room in the big hen house. I think the old skid boards make a beautifully rustic wall. He was going to screen the top-right section, but then decided, 'Why waste screen when I have so much wood from these skids?' So he just spaced them to allow ventilation without allow chickens to pass through.

Of course, I couldn't post without including this pic of the herd I shot while at the chicken house...

12 comments:

Lynn said...

I am so impressed! :D The horses are beautiful.

charmine. said...

Hi Lily,Those skids are called deal wood planks here,yes,using them around the farm is a splendid idea.Love those horses,you are surrounded by greenery everywhere,how lovely to live in the country far far away from the polluted cities.

Sure there's a lot of work but it's peaceful and i love all your farm stories.Enjoy your day.

Rae said...

I love your farm and all the animals. You are very lucky to have that nice piece of earth. It is wonderful.
Your green beans and cucumbers look delicious. I am forced to buy Wal-Mart produce. Yuck!!!

KrisGC said...

Your chickens and horses are beautiful! Your veggies look delicious.....I am very envious of your lovely farm, you put a lot of work into it and it shows!

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. Your life looks so completely different from mine, I'm a little envious!

TC said...

Do you can the beans and make pickles out of the cucumbers? Or do you freeze and make freezer pickles? My family won't eat frozen green beans, just canned! I would like a garden again, think I burnt myself out when I was younger with huge gardens and selling produce.

chicamom85 said...

It is wonderful how you find ways to reuse things. Thanks for the chicken photos and I hope the rooster finds his crow lol.

Anne

SquirrelQueen said...

The chickens getting big and beautiful, I love the feathers on the first one.

There is nothing better than fresh green beans, yum. Those are nice looking cucumbers. Can or freeze?

The skids, having been in the grocery business I know them as pallets, are working great as a wall.

Your herd is very beautiful.

AL said...

Hi MsLilly,

Photos of chicken are lovely especially the zebra printed one. Haha, I've never seen one like that before.

I envy you for maintaining a very productive farm, which I am dreaming of in the future. You have very supportive husband, you are so lucky.

AL

Shellbelle said...

The chickens are beautiful!

I love the way you repurpose stuff. In 2005 the house my great-grandfather built in 1904 was destroyed in a tornado. My cousin Herbert, who owns the property now, took the wood and had it milled into paneling. That paneling was used for the walls in an addition to his home that was partially damaged by the same tornado. Isn't that cool? I love visiting and sitting in that room.

As for the 5-gallon buckets, while I'm there I use one to go to a neighbors to fill up with tomatoes and another to go to the barn and fill with my cousins potatoes and sweet onions to bring home with me.

Life is good on a farm! (And delicious too!)

Cathy said...

What a wonderful farm!!! You are a lucky girl!!! Your horse and chickens are wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Nancy said...

Your farm is beautiful. I am really starting to want to live much the way you are living.