Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Moving Day

We were told they would be transferring my MIL at 11:30 this morning, so Ali and I went over after breakfast to visit. MIL loves to have Ali read to her from her Bible, so Ali brought it with her. MIL was quite confused today... Thank God for onion rings!

Yesterday evening, when FIL was going back to see her, I suggested he take her some onion rings. She is a very picky eater and wasn't liking much of the hospital food. He stopped by our local Perkins and the waiter piled a truckload into a box for him. (In our small town, Perkins' employees are like family to us.) When Ali and I arrived, MIL told us all about how FIL had met her in Vicco last night and they had onion rings. Vicco is a town in Kentucky near where she grew up. She was really mad at him for not showing up for their wedding later, but at least he took her out for onion rings!

Ali was a little anxious over MIL's weird rantings, but I explained to her about strong medicine and how it can affect the mind. MIL keeps thinking that FIL is coming home on leave from the Army (He was in the Navy.) and they are going to get married. She told me that when she went home last night, he didn't show up! She was very upset with him for leaving her. I assured her that she was still in the hospital and that he had been there every day.

The facility she is going to is one where another family member had been. She remembered it and said it was very nice. I explained to her that her back was broken but that the hospital couldn't keep her there. She seemed OK with the idea, but then in the next sentence, she would be angry with him for deserting her at the alter...

How do you give comfort to someone that can't remember from one sentence to the next? If she can't remember she's in a hospital with a broken back, how can she remember that he has been there to visit her every day?

Hubby and FIL went on to Fairborn to help her settle in... It will be a long day.

5 comments:

CrazyCris said...

Watching a loved one slip in and out of lucidity like that has to be one of the hardest things to live through. My prayers are with you!

Rae said...

Hopefully once she gets moved and settled she will get adjusted and become more lucid. It is harder on the family than her. It's like losing her prematurely because she is not the person you know.

Historical sites with charmine said...

This is amusing but sad.I hope she does well there.Ihave one more award for all my followers...That would be you,come see.Shall pray for ya'll.

Ziggy Stardust said...

I will pray for all of you. My Mom has a very clear mind and knows every thing that is going on. I don't know which is worse sometimes in this situation. God bless you

Anne

Leave a Legacy said...

Hey Lily,
I was just catching up on some of your blogs about your MIL. I know exactly what you and your family are going through and I know how hard it is. I'm sure she'll do fine in the nursing home. I agree with Rae that it's as hard or harder on the family watching your family member go through this. And you've done such a good job in taking such good care of her, but now she needs more and you need the break. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I understand.