Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Recycled Dust & Old Neighborhoods


We had some business in Dayton this week, so while we were in town, we decided to stop at the shop and load up on sawdust. 

We know some guys that have a pattern shop.  Their trash collectors do not allow them to put their sawdust in the trash, so we told them we could help them get rid of it...  We use it in our stalls.  You know how I love to recycle!

We have to make sure we know what kind of wood it came from.  Some wood shavings aren't safe to use with horses.  And sometimes it's too dusty, so I just spread it around outside.

Looks like the dust collectors blew up before we got there!  Normally, most of the sawdust goes into this collector system:

Those black trash bags on the left are filled with sawdust, as is the door under the big funnel-shaped thing.  We ended up with seven large garbage bags full of pine dust and shavings.  That will top off our bin and get us through the winter. 

We don't keep our horses inside much.  Maggie stays in at night unless it's really warm out., and we keep her in during heavy rains.  The other two only stay in if it's icy out.  They have a run-in shelter in the paddock.  They don't let Maggie in it.

After we left the shop, we decided to drop in on a friend I used to work with.  He lives one block over from my old house in the city.  No, I wasn't a country girl until six years ago!  I loved the city then.  Now, I can't imagine going back!



 I always loved the big trees that lined the street.



 Fourth house on the left. 

It wasn't much, but it was mine!  Built in 1907, it was a DIY dream.  I left it for the burbs in 1999.  Then, after tying the knot with Mr J, we bought some old farm land outside of Xenia.  The rest, as they say, is history...



13 comments:

Gloria said...

Love, love, love reading about your life on your ranch. Someday, I'm gonna live like that . . it's all there in the planning!!

We too love recycling and we go around picking up all the old wood in the forest and from the factories and use it in our wood burner. Love it!!

SquirrelQueen said...

I think it's great that you can recycle the sawdust. The tree lined street is beautiful, it does look more like city living. After living in Portland for so long Walla Walla almost seems like the country, or at least a tiny town.

DJan said...

I missed you while you were gone, Lily! Thank heavens for Facebook so you weren't TOO far away. I just peeled a hard boiled egg yesterday and thought of you (it peeled way too easy). I didn't know this is a new way of life for you, it's so totally cool and WAY better than living in a house like everyone else's. And you continue to inspire about recycling!

Rae said...

I sometimes take a drive back to my old neighborhood where I grew up. I am always surprised by how things actually look compared to how I see them in my imagination. The old neighborhood is getting rundown too. It seems a shame that new people moving in will never know how it was back in its prime. Your old neighborhood looks like a great place to live.

chicamom85 said...

You are so great with recycling. I always love reading about the horses and how they live. The house looks very warm and inviting, but I love reading about you on the farm.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

AL said...

Lily, sawdust are very precious to gardeners here. It can make a good garden soil, we buy it in sacks then mix it with soil, I bet you have tried it.

AL

Marla said...

Isn't it so much fun to see where you came from and where you are now? Life is good!

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Jan Mader said...

The barn where I board Tango is always running out of sawdust. Your post makes me think that I should be more creative and help them out!!!

Stephen Tremp said...

My grandparents lived on a farm and I remember the fun as a kid we had chasing hickens and sheep and picking vegetables. Those were great times.

Stephen Tremp

Oklahoma Granny said...

I used to work at a candle factory and sometimes we'd mix sawdust with wax in dixie cups to make fire starters. I love that tree lined street. I miss trees. We're going to plant some next spring. Thanks for the info on dog blankets. I'm going to have to check that out.

Nancy said...

I like the country, too. It's great how you recycle. I think your horses are not very nice to Maggie! Luckily she has you. :-)

Wendy Blum said...

One of my friends grew up in Columbus and after he married my friend from high school who grew up in small town Kenton,OH he didn't think he'd adjust. But now, he doesn't like driving to or in Columbus and doesn't really miss it so much. I have lived in Kenton all my life. Sometimes I wish I could move where there is something to do 24/7. But then I realize I'd be too overwhelmed and want to come back to my small town. So that keeps me here =)
Glad you are enjoying country life. Happy Holidays to you and yours!