Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's Beginning to Look at Lot Like...

Springtime!  No, it doesn't look like Christmas, nor does it feel like Christmas.  It's almost 79 degrees outside.  I'm wearing a T-shirt and getting ready to go bathe my horse.  Definitely not Christmasy!

This morning we went to a festival called Christmas Around Sabina.  It is a beautiful little farming community about a half-hour from here.  My DIL's family is from that area.  It is not your typical festival where several blocks are closed off with booths in the streets for vendors.  In fact, driving through town, it is hard to notice there is a festival except for the heavy traffic, many parked cars, and people carrying goodies everywhere.

Her family used to set up 'Grandma's Country Kitchen' in her aunt's house, but this year moved it into Kelly's Cafe.  A relative owns the cafe, and, since they didn't have enough employees to work the festival, they weren't going to be open through the festival.  So they decided to move the 'kitchen' to the cafe.

This old brain of mine forgot to pull the camera out of my purse... sorry, no pics!

Her family makes gift items and baked goods to sell, as well as a carry-out meal featuring (of course) Grandma's homemade noodles.  They had all kinds of canned goods, including watermelon rind pickles!  There were crocheted dishcloths and pivoting flag poles... but mostly sweets!  I bought a mini-loaf of Amish Friendship Bread and one of chocolate zucchini bread.  I also bought a cake made with fruit cocktail and coconut.  Yum!  Mr J thought some of the stuff looked too rich for him, so he settled for a pecan pie... Does that even make sense?  Maybe he doesn't remember how rich those are.

I sure hope I can get my laptop close enough for my arms to reach after eating all that!  If not, it was nice knowin' ya...

5 comments:

Rae said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I love those kinds of festival. Our town is having its Festival of Trees this weekend. I am not quite ready to look at Christmas trees with all the warm weather right now though.

Marla said...

This sounds like such a great family day. Thanks for sharing it.

SquirrelQueen said...

Sounds like fun, I love the small town festivals, they are always filled with goodies and fun people.

Now let me get this straight, your hubby thought the other desserts were too rich and when for the super sugary sweet, practically made out of sugar pecan pie? Hmmm, must be a guy thing.

Historical sites with charmine said...

What a fun day! I love going to festivals like this and when we were kids at church,yearly,we'd have the harvest fest.Very much like this fest with wheel of fortune,darts,merry go round and such.Lots of goodies to buy and eat...home made stuff,yummy.

Historical sites with charmine said...

What a fun day! I love going to festivals like this and when we were kids at church,yearly,we'd have the harvest fest.Very much like this fest with wheel of fortune,darts,merry go round and such.Lots of goodies to buy and eat...home made stuff,yummy.