Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In Honor of Veterans


THE FINAL INSPECTION

 The Army Soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.
'Step forward now, Soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
I can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep.....
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.
And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.
'Step forward now, you Soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'
~Author Unknown~



8 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Lily, that is a great tribute to our veterans as well as those currently protecting our country.

CrazyCris said...

Is today a special veterans' day in the US or something?

In Belgium (and France) it's a holiday commemorating the WW1 armistice...

and I'm stuck inside (again!) with a nasty cold... :s

Rae said...

Beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! And a special thanks to all the servicemen and women who help to keep our country safe. You have our prayers.

TC said...

How true. I watched a show on PBS called POV about troop greeters in Bangor Maine and it was heartwrenching, it showed one of their granddaughters going off to war. Anyway great poem.

plainolebob said...

Lily, wow that gave me chills.
I didn't know you had this site.
BIG HUGS

Sandy said...

A beautiful and meaningful post. Well said Lily.

I also agree with how good it feels to see the numbers of charitable donations.

Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness.

Sandy

Marla said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. Two of my sons are military so this really hits home.