Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Snow Day with Horses

This picture makes me happy...

That's Buddy's rump with the white tail, and Nekoda is the spotted one in the background.  But see, there in the middle, sharing Buddy's hay?  Yep, Maggie Mae.  Normally, we have to give Maggie her hay far away from the other two or they run her off.  It's just horse hierarchy.  Besides, she gets her alfalfa in pelleted form now, so any hay she eats is a bonus.  It still makes me happy to see my herd bonding tighter.

This is Mr J leading Maggie to the side pasture...

I've already thrown out their hay or they'd be following me to the gate.  The red building is their run-in shelter.  Buddy and Nekoda stay in it when the weather dictates.  Maggie is stalled at night and in inclement weather.

This is me...

...under the wool hat with ear-flaps and the insulated pants.  Gotta pass those hugs around!

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!


I just love showing how safe my horses are.  When the hay isn't there, I can back Nekoda around the field by the tail!

Organic accessories?

Staying warm in my horse-hair scarf!

Maggie Mae

I have to tip-toe to peek over her!

The horses love running in the snow...

Nekoda loves running anytime, but seeing the snow fly up is extra fun!

18 comments:

Maria I. Morgan said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful wintry horse pictures!! BTW - I love your warm-looking outfit, too!! God bless! :)

Rae said...

Well I wrote out a nice long comment and tried to post it...then my internet connection went kaput. So I will shorten it this time and say you look very happy in your element out there with the horses. Wonderful pictures. It is nice that Maggie is finally fitting in.

Lynn said...

Great photos...to me horses are almost magical...:D

TC said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. Your horses may be as spoiled as my dogs? LOL
My cousin had what we called an indian pony, we were like 10 or 12 and would ride it bareback without a bridle, jump onto it from the back. Best horse I'd ever seen, your horses being so gentle remind me of him.

AL said...

Brrr looks very cold! I wonder if horses can tolerate the coldness of weather? Photos makes me smile especially the first one and the one with you holding Nekoda.

AL

Kim Kasch said...

So pretty but it looks very dangerous. We used to have horses and I know it depends on personality - just like people - but everyone gets moody.

Lille Diane said...

These pics are down right adorable! I love your winter attire, and my fav is the one of you holding Nekoda's tail. Too precious--just like you~

Naqvee said...

hello, so lovely fotos.. as i said earlier, your horses are so innocent!

DJan said...

Yep, it looks cold there, Lily. Nice to see pictures of you in your element. Also wonderful to see you pulling horsetails with abandon!

Oklahoma Granny said...

What fun pictures. I just had to really stop and take in each one before moving on to the next. Your horses are beautiful.

Lily Robinson said...

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Kim, I do hope people realize you can't do this with all horses. My horses are all safe to approach from behind. Nekoda is the only one that I drag around by the tail. This took a lot of ground work. No, not every horse has that disposition, and it's not something I'd do when she is in a 'spring fever' mood.

Rule of thumb is stay out of kicking range.

Shellbelle said...

All these pictures make me happy! What a wonderful post, I just love it all. I needed a big smile today and this brought lots of them.

btw, could you send me an outfit like that? You know I've needed it lately and our stores have nothing like it, lol.

Marla said...

Lily ~ I just love your horses! The snow pictures are so wonderful. That's my kind of afternoon...hanging outside in the snow with the critters.

btw...all the blogs I follow have disappeared from my list. Are you having any problems with blogger?

Stephanie said...

Hi Lily-
These pictures make me happy too! You are living the life I dream of with those horses.
Happy New Year!
xo

Janean said...

Lily, my heart skipped when i saw you BEHIND the horse holding its tail....girl, you're brave.

horses are beautiful in the snow though, huh?

(((hugs))))

Wendy Blum said...

Your horses are beautiful. What babies! One can tell they are well taken care of and love their owner ;) I love horses, although I am not a farm girl per se. But to watch them run free and graze...I have ridden them a few times in my life. And I don't know why, but the smell of horse stalls doesn't bother me. They smell earthy and I don't know.. homey some how to me. LOL does that make sense?! Maybe in a past life I owned horses. Nice post and wonderful photos =)

SquirrelQueen said...

They are all beautiful, it's good to see them getting along with Maggie. You have quite a bit of snow, the horses don't seem to mind it at all. I love that last photo of Nekoda running in the snow.
Judy

Stephen Baird said...

lily,
very cool photography. lovely blog, so bright and happy!
nikonsniper steve