Welcome to my blog! If you enjoy my stories, please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Think Tiger Has Too Many Chicks?


Mr J and I have neared divorce over his chicks!  It's not that he has the chicks, or really even how many he has...  It's that he's let them run wild around here!  Imagine the grief it would bring to Elin  (and my heart truly goes out to her) if Tiger let his chicks run wild around the mansion, like Mr J or this guy...


OK, maybe it's not the same, but I've also experienced tremendous grief.  Just take a look at the destruction Mr J's chicks have caused in my territory!  (click to enlarge any photo)


  I had started some young plants here to fill in the open space.  They're gone now.  The border and decorative rocks are all but buried in the mulch, while the barrier that's suppose to be buried has been pulled to the surface by the nasty birds' scratching.

Let me interject here that I do not like chickens.  As much as I love animals, I do not consider chickens in the same catagory.  I do not like chickens.  I love fresh eggs.  I like chicken.  I do not like chickens... plural...  as in alive and running around outside my house!

See the big hole right smack-dab (whatever that means) in the middle of my lemon thyme?

No, I didn't put the hole there as an architectural element.  Those dad-blame (whatever that means) birds did it!  They dug holes in the centers of most of my plants. 

My red sedum has suffered the most damage.  Just look at this...  

See the big bare spots?  ...the chunks of bark laying about?  This sedum is much more prone to breakage than the thyme or other plants.  Here, the chickens have removed every bit of it that was above ground.  Fortunately, it is hardy and will probably grow back. I'm really hoping the white spots are just some left over snow flurries that managed to snuggle into some shadowy crevices.

In this corner of the sidewalk and driveway, I had a nice clump of Japanese blood grass... had being the operative word here.
Notice again the revealed weed blocker, and the way the mulch is scattered over the jelly pebbles.  The mulch used to be just around the grass and on the other side of the border rocks.

Now that I've told you what my garden used to look like, let me tell you what the chickens used to enjoy... running free.  They are still free-range.  It's just that their range is smaller than it used to be.

Here is what they used to have...

The big hen house is in the foreground.  The north end of their pen runs between the little red house and the horse trailer.  (That's Benji coming up the drive.)

In this photo, you can see a distinctive line in front of the hen house, but behind the waterer that is sitting on the pile of bricks.  (keeps the water cleaner)

 That is where the fence used to be.  We extended their area up almost to the barn, as seen in this next shot...


Their area actually goes past the side of the barn.  Mr J has a compost pile over there.   It is like a five-star restaurant to the chickens.  So now they have free access to it.  It's full of little critters they eat.

On a sad note, Mr J has lost one of his hens.  She was a beautiful golden lace.  We don't have a clue why she died.  Mr J wonders if she got into something there in the tall grass by the barn.  FIL has dropped a lot of nails around there and Mr J found some broken glass. 

Here is a close-up of the feathers on another golden lace hen...

He will miss her...

13 comments:

Shellbelle said...

Well dagnabbit (whatever that means) Lily, I'm rolling on the floor laughing. I had no idea the little critters where so destructive. I' not laughing at all the damage they've done, mind you, just the way you described it. I'd say it's time for a big kettle of chicken n' dumplings!

Lynn said...

Anytime I entertain the idea of say getting chickens, goats, horses, I simply have to wait a few months so I can learn from your experience. I have yet to get chickens, goats, or horses.

Like Rhonda, I had no idea chickens were destructive. I just discovered my dog, Maggie, jumps in and out of the above ground garden enclosure. We have to fence it off if we are to have any veggies, etc. She has gone from digging holes all over the yard to digging holes in the container gardens, dad blame it!

SquirrelQueen said...

I didn't realize either how destructive chickens could be. Still sorry to hear you lost one.

Heff looks happy with his chicks however.

Rae said...

I'd be rounding me up a shotgun if them critters tore up my stuff like that. We would be eating lots of chicken.

Kim Kasch said...

And I thought chicks were always cute.

Marla said...

Lily ~ You crack me up!

AL said...

Tsk, tsk were the chicks wearing high heeled stilettos that they created those holes in your territory? Hehehe.

AL

DJan said...

Isn't this written by the same person who cajoled those guys out of the coop? Remember when they didn't want to come out? We have three chickens who live in a backyard a ways away from us, but they love to get out the fence and come over here and eat up all the goodies they can find. Chickens are hilarious, but not as hilarious as you! Thanks for the laughs, Lily!

Olivia and Me said...

wow, sounds like the hens have run amuc indeed there.. pen them up my dear, keep the foxes at bay.. and tell Mr T to leave your 'chicks' alone.. and others for that matter. It's a shame he did what he's done.. but we'll an eyeball on your wee ones in case Mr T meanders your way.

~Olivia

Nancy said...

Well, I can certainly see why you would want them in a caged off area, on the other hand, nice to see real free-range chickens. And the are beautiful. Sorry Mr. J lost such a pretty one.

Love this post, Lilly, thanks for the pics.

charmine. said...

Very funny Lily!Well,they've tilled the land for you really well.hehe!Just wondering how you manage them in winter.

Maria I. Morgan said...

Just had to let you know that your pets (pictures posted on the sidebar) are adorable!! Love the sweet puppy and the kitties! The picture of Chubs and Paint Girl could win first place in a contest! Have a great weekend!

Grandma Nina said...

I'm finally catching up on my blog reading and this one was so funny. Do you think Tiger feels the same about his chicks as you do about yours? Too much trouble?